Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Just passing infront of Maria.. ending up in Carriacou

Ok, so parked at Antigua YC at midnight and at 1900 I was gone again..  Back south because Maria was suddenly coming to visit.

Sophie is getting to big, and carbon blades were destroyed last week by Sophie's leaves, and she not looking better after it eider..
Vanessa and Ton of Cloggies restaurant will take care of here..  If I don't pick here up in next 2 month Vanessa is gone put it in here garden..  I did get visiting rights in I think..

So down again, back to Grenada? where I just came from, 3 days sailing with stop in Martinique where Bas and Reina were with the Kim, Kim and Rina's dad..  Engine was working fine again when needed to my surprise, not overheating when I ran the Merc in wind shadows of the islands I passed..
Everything fine and fast..  150 nm again per 24hrs..

Near St Vincent I was sort of safe, made it just in front of Maria coming from the east..

Then shit happens... I had to gibe, wind was turning from East side of North to westerly, no already 25+knots.. A lot of wind, so I thought.. just take Condor about..
Something went wrong there, the Quadrant broke, short lever on top of rudder with which boat is steered through hydraulics of rudder or auto pilot..
The Quadrant in better days..  mine ( a 40 btw) in 3 parts..

Dug up emergency rudder which took me 2 hours, Pole to mount on rudder through deck was in bilge with all supplies etc on top..
The aft cabin also had to be cleared to get to rudder, and in mean time Condor is rolling heavily..
Made parts fit, needed hammer and heavy hitting.. Next found 2m piece of wood, and shorte one..  made a tiller for it, and found some ease again..
Cant stay on rudder all the time so mannaged to ballance sails and boat out so it was sailing sort of by tis self, without rudder, or put line on rudder tiller..  worked..

And finally made it to Tyrell Bay yesterday at noon..  Was already outside here night before, but to dark and wind to west.. no good, so stayed out...




Fixing part now, and repairing dinghy which sprang a leak..

Cheers


Carriacou very nice..  walking the beach..






Dinner.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment