Tuesday, May 24, 2011

No wind, rain and clean decks.... ..

Rain means water in the tank and for some an outside shower and others.. (my neighbours) even clean the deck while having the free shower (topless).


Monday, May 23, 2011

New Doyle main arrived, and it fits...

Perfect wind to try and see if it fits.. It does, only just on the boom, could have been few cm smaller but maybe it is just perfect with a reef line to pull max backwards to flatten the sail.

Onlything, there is no way to fit a cunningham...

Challenge High Aspect Dacron 52/IW70 8.62 Dacron, 2 standard battens, 2 full (top) battens, 2 reefs (second reef on 3rd reef place, the other inbetween), slides, headboard, seam coating, moderate grith, and a bag.
Ripped the old main feb 21st, Ordered Doyle main April 13th (first halve payment) .. and Fedex delivered to St Maarten 20th may 2010.

357 sqft or 33.15m2, 2590us$ Doyle, made in Barbados West Indies.. Rob Harms Doyle Curacao.

NB Illustration of other options: Lee sails (HongKong) quotes a sail like this 1300us$ (incl delivery St Maarten), North (South Africa) 3700us$

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Clean dinghy!!! Big difference speedwise 2

More then an hour work for local Scouting roupe who cleaned cars and dinghies with nice working music from the scout DJ.. a lot of Tiesto

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

New engine mounts... propshaft trouble also over..

Engine mounts were old, gave problems with shaking and also the probshaft made noice when using engine to propell the Condor.
New mounts also ment welding the supports differently etc, So monday we bought new mounts and planned welder, and to go in Lagoonies for the work..
I was in Lagoonies tuesday 800, 0910 Ton had the engine on bloks and went to welder with them.
They were ready at 1600, few holes were still to be drilled. I spray painted them before happy hour.
Here were Rob Knegt and Willem Beerman with the Nix'es Nico and letty Cortleven, they are sailing the Nix (X612) to Azores thursday the 12th (leaving on friday the 13th was no option). NB they left 12th, arrived 15 days later minus 2 genoa's and one spi.. and I thought little wind..

Today some adusting to the mounts but at 1300 I tried to start the engine, needed some help (battery problems, altenator not loading starter battery suddenly but still loading house batteries) but at 13.30 we were moving and the job had good results, engine silent and propshaft nice and quiet.. perfect.

During the rest of the time we tried to fix a 11 month old fridge.. in the end the Compressor was dead, so a new frige simply broken and not worth putting other compressor in.. strange..
Warrenty? The shop (Island Water World) where I got it last year offers me a new one with 10% discount..
Mine last year was 780 usd, the same one they sell now for 995 usd. And how will we do that next year if the new one is broken again, then I pay 1200 usd and get an other 10%????????????????????

Other job we started with is taking apart the interior, I need to make boat stronger where the stays manage to pull up the deck nowadays. Fix it under deck... welding and 'new' interior..... Auwww

Bad news

I got confirmation that I have partly ruptured my right achilles tendon..


treatment.. be carefull, do not make strange moves....
A little hard alone on a sailboat,
and living with a dinghy you have to sometimes acrobaticly have to get in or out etcetc

More advise, do not totaly rupture it, if you do that you have to be operated on within 24 hours...
Yeah, might be a problem..


Chris wanted to sail... enroute..

The day Chris left I got skye call from the 'Annie', a 47 fter with Addy and Sabine, they were on BVI and had changed plans, they were going to Horta Azores instead of staying in Carieb), they were interested in Chris on board extra for the trip... I mailed that on to Chris, they were going to BVI's anyhow, and there Chris found the Annie and decided to change boats, the 33fter was to smal, no where a place on board to even sit relaxed..

Last message I got was that they were leaving 6 may... and it might even take them 30 day's, but I think probably more like 21 days, so expect to hear from them end may/ begin june...